Friday, October 10, 2008

Invisible Children

So tonight was the big night. I have been organizing this since May! I was a little bit stressed all day, just hoping people would come and support this cause. It was absolutely amazing to say the least. I organized for the new Invisible Children documentary "GO" to be shown at our school. On my way to getting things set up, I asked my roommate how many people he guessed would be there. His guess was 60. Well he had his sails set higher than me, and I said I guessed around 40. Well 6:30 hits, we have things mostly set up, and in come about 40 people. (The screening wasn't even starting for another half an hour!!!!!) So about 20 minutes before we start there were around 95 people already there. And by the time we start, over 130 people were there. I could not believe it! I was so excited.

The documentary, which was amazing, inspired a lot of people. Afterward, we had a question and answer time and people had so many questions! This was so cool. I got a list of about 30 people, and we are going to raise even more money. And I'm the Administrator over all our schools earnings. We raised about $1,100 by the end of the night. I just know that some lucky kids in Northern Uganda are now going to be able to attend school, something many of us take for granted, and this will change their life forever. We made it possible for other kids to get an education, and live a better life. That is the best feeling in the world. Tonight was great. I hung out with the 4 roadies (the people who go around showing the documentary) after it was over. They were all really really cool. They were so down to earth and really fun to talk to. Afterwards, me and Dan bought them pizza and hung out at my apartment. This is how cool these 4 are. They take 2 months out of there busy lives to go around and show this documentary to all different schools, they have to pay for their food, and the only thing that is paid for is the gas for the van. That is crazy! Talk about dedication, and passion. I'm so happy with the turnout :)

No comments: